7 March 2013
From TidePools Wiki
Revision as of 03:08, 8 March 2013 by Tunabananas
Home < 7 March 2013
Digital Divide Meeting #4
- Fill out your wiki pages!!!!!!!!!
- Contact Assets and fill out wiki page (Dennis)
- Confirm with Spike (ideally late afternoon next Friday [4-6]) & Urban Strategies (Jenny)
- Add questions re: quantitative data - eg; How many clients have you served in the past 12 months?
Ivan, Tonya, Dennis, Jenny, John, MarkB
- From Open Data Day:
- Updated info on Oakland Public Library oakwiki pages.
- Search 'open data day' on oaklandwiki
- Dan Kolb interested in doing advocacy work with the community to train city council and community members on how to use the technology effectively
- Get Connected! Oakland launched through Oakland Technology West (whom we've connected with), principally writing grant applications - but remained mostly a PR front
- Oakland Technology West
- they have mad machines / resources
- we should visit them!
- Spike from Urban Strategies Council said we could possibly come out and interview next Friday
- Shawn Pay from Oakland Digital - non-profit on Harrison - Inspire program to build billboards for Oakland
- Close to a visit with Youth Radio
- Assets - for seniors - had a grant to bridge the DD for low-income seniors
- Mentoring system at libraries
- Ivan shares a story of food service workers who had to get certified some years ago, and they all came to the libraries to take the test and print their certifications
- Only one hour per user at a machine at the public libraries
- Kids figure a way out (eg; memorizing their family members' numbers)
- Tweeting geographically / contextually relevant info to those with SMS-only phones
- How could we help entrepreneurs write business plans / create internet presence?
- Oakland Public Library
- Ask each reference desk about their resources
- Who do you direct people to for services?
- People with disabilities!
- Tracking the funding
- Tracking eg; Comcast - specific fees and taxes that are supposed to go to digital divide
- How many staff do you have devoted to this specifically?
- research Media Alliance
- Ready Set Go - based on the Youth Radio model - to train youth in
- 81st St Library (grant from Dell)
Ideas for Future
- Use research / survey feedback to create a report that documents the landscape of DD efforts
- Can be anecdotal and still be useful!
- Toward a deliverable for the OO DD group
- Gather quantitative data as well
- 3/19 - Tuesday - at 7pm (Open Oakland meeting starts at 6:30)
Mesh Meeting #6
- OpenITP Grant - throw in your thoughts! - https://pad.riseup.net/p/510penITPapp - due March 31st
- Market research on 4MB routers that will run OpenWRT
- Juul will research binoculars and send info to Mark (carryover item)
- Testing with satellite dishes - in sudo room next week! (after the main meeting)
- Send out map and work on it
- Update website
- Commenting on nodes (Revent, Tidepools)
- Come up with a handout for going door-to-door
Jenny, Miguel, Mark B, Bill, Jordan, with some OaklandWiki meshing ;D,
- How the site works:
- Create an account and put in the MAC address of the mesh router
- Allows us to build a list of all the routers on the network
- openmesh firmware runs a shell script when first installed, connects to openmesh.org and our own instance, 510pen, is recognized and fed directly to the router
- How the portal currently works:
- Pushes the HTML to openmesh.com if it updates
- How the portal could work:
- We should get more routers! 8MB preferably, 4MB might work
- We'd need more CPU - WRT4GL's should work - CPU can easily be maxed out depending on size of the mesh
- Installing fibre along International Blvd - a highspeed access point would make it worthwhile to shoot across the city
- Research fibre in East Oakland
- Mesh nodes for GSM
- RanchWiFi - Solar ISP - Matt's connection
- Sudo GSM! We use all the protocols at sudo!!
- Old Sonic routers??
- Opt-in with Sonic? - Dane Jasper
- Should we abandon OpenMesh and flash routers with our own firmware? At the very least, we should field test the firmwares out there.
- OpenMesh used to use OLSR, and is proud to have switched to batman-adv
- 802.11s - mesh standard - what's the deal?
- BattleMesh!!! 4/20 in Denmark - we should keep tabs on how that pans out. Or.. go?
- Jenny followed up in #oti on weatherproof equipment Ubiquiti equipments
- Jenny and Mark B presented 510pen at Open Oakland.
- Follow up with Tony on Cisco connection - "how many routers do you need?" he asked at Open Oakland meeting. Mark's answer, "ideally, one in every other house."
- Bill did not flash the router ;) but his Coursera course is ending soon!