7 March 2013

From TidePools Wiki
Revision as of 03:08, 8 March 2013 by Tunabananas (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Home < 7 March 2013

Contents

Digital Divide Meeting #4

Action Item

  • Fill out your wiki pages!!!!!!!!!
  • Contact Assets and fill out wiki page (Dennis)
  • Confirm with Spike (ideally late afternoon next Friday [4-6]) & Urban Strategies (Jenny)
  • Add questions re: quantitative data - eg; How many clients have you served in the past 12 months?

Attendees

Ivan, Tonya, Dennis, Jenny, John, MarkB

Reportbacks

  • From Open Data Day:
    • Updated info on Oakland Public Library oakwiki pages.
    • Search 'open data day' on oaklandwiki
  • Dan Kolb interested in doing advocacy work with the community to train city council and community members on how to use the technology effectively
  • Get Connected! Oakland launched through Oakland Technology West (whom we've connected with), principally writing grant applications - but remained mostly a PR front
  • Oakland Technology West
    • they have mad machines / resources
    • we should visit them!
  • Spike from Urban Strategies Council said we could possibly come out and interview next Friday
  • Shawn Pay from Oakland Digital - non-profit on Harrison - Inspire program to build billboards for Oakland
  • Close to a visit with Youth Radio
  • Assets - for seniors - had a grant to bridge the DD for low-income seniors

Notes

  • Mentoring system at libraries
  • Ivan shares a story of food service workers who had to get certified some years ago, and they all came to the libraries to take the test and print their certifications
  • Only one hour per user at a machine at the public libraries
    • Kids figure a way out (eg; memorizing their family members' numbers)
  • Tweeting geographically / contextually relevant info to those with SMS-only phones
  • How could we help entrepreneurs write business plans / create internet presence?
  • Oakland Public Library
    • Ask each reference desk about their resources
    • Who do you direct people to for services?
  • People with disabilities!
  • Tracking the funding
    • Tracking eg; Comcast - specific fees and taxes that are supposed to go to digital divide
  • How many staff do you have devoted to this specifically?
  • research Media Alliance
  • Ready Set Go - based on the Youth Radio model - to train youth in
    • 81st St Library (grant from Dell)

Ideas for Future

  • Use research / survey feedback to create a report that documents the landscape of DD efforts
  • Can be anecdotal and still be useful!
  • Toward a deliverable for the OO DD group
  • Gather quantitative data as well

Next Meeting

  • 3/19 - Tuesday - at 7pm (Open Oakland meeting starts at 6:30)

Mesh Meeting #6

Action Items

Immediate

  • OpenITP Grant - throw in your thoughts! - https://pad.riseup.net/p/510penITPapp - due March 31st
  • Market research on 4MB routers that will run OpenWRT
  • Juul will research binoculars and send info to Mark (carryover item)
  • Testing with satellite dishes - in sudo room next week! (after the main meeting)

Longer Term

  • Send out map and work on it
  • Update website
    • Commenting on nodes (Revent, Tidepools)
  • Come up with a handout for going door-to-door

Attendees

Jenny, Miguel, Mark B, Bill, Jordan, with some OaklandWiki meshing ;D,

Notes

  • How the site works:
    • Create an account and put in the MAC address of the mesh router
    • Allows us to build a list of all the routers on the network
  • openmesh firmware runs a shell script when first installed, connects to openmesh.org and our own instance, 510pen, is recognized and fed directly to the router
  • How the portal currently works:
    • Pushes the HTML to openmesh.com if it updates
  • How the portal could work:
    • Data source on the mesh, some IP, every router could use static pages (using javascript restful endpoints)
  • We should get more routers! 8MB preferably, 4MB might work
  • We'd need more CPU - WRT4GL's should work - CPU can easily be maxed out depending on size of the mesh
  • Installing fibre along International Blvd - a highspeed access point would make it worthwhile to shoot across the city
  • Research fibre in East Oakland
  • Mesh nodes for GSM
  • RanchWiFi - Solar ISP - Matt's connection
  • Sudo GSM! We use all the protocols at sudo!!
  • Old Sonic routers??
    • Opt-in with Sonic? - Dane Jasper
  • Should we abandon OpenMesh and flash routers with our own firmware? At the very least, we should field test the firmwares out there.
  • OpenMesh used to use OLSR, and is proud to have switched to batman-adv
  • 802.11s - mesh standard - what's the deal?
  • BattleMesh!!! 4/20 in Denmark - we should keep tabs on how that pans out. Or.. go?

Reportbacks

  • Jenny followed up in #oti on weatherproof equipment Ubiquiti equipments
  • Jenny and Mark B presented 510pen at Open Oakland.
  • Follow up with Tony on Cisco connection - "how many routers do you need?" he asked at Open Oakland meeting. Mark's answer, "ideally, one in every other house."
  • Bill did not flash the router ;) but his Coursera course is ending soon!
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox